This Spanish-style tortilla with chorizo, sweet potatoes and squash can be eaten hot or cold and makes a great portable snack. This post is sponsored by Volkswagen.
Another stop on my virtual culinary road trip as part of my collaboration with Volkswagen. This recipe takes inspiration from the classic Spanish tortilla – which is not a tortilla in the usual sense but a kind of a potato omelette – or frittata. The traditional recipe involves eggs, potatoes, occasionally onions and a lot of olive oil. My take is made with sweet potato, butternut squash and chorizo. It’s super tasty and fantastic as a main with a crisp green salad on the side but equally yummy eaten cold on-the-go.
Rather than cook the potatoes and squash in the oil, I decided to roast them in the oven with the chorizo until softened. This takes around 20-25 minutes and it will perfume your kitchen with the yummiest of foodie smells. It is tempting to dig into the roasted veggies straight out of the oven but resist! It only takes a little bit longer to turn them into the sort-of Spanish tortilla. All you have to do is lightly beat six large eggs with a little olive oil and layer the ingredients in an oven safe frying pan or skillet. Start cooking everything on the stove and finish off in the oven.
Keep an eye out for more ‘road trip’ recipes on the blog and make sure to check out the collaborative Pinterest board from Volkswagen for more inspiring DIY projects, recipes and ideas.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £98.66Was: £140.00
- Price: £88.00Was: £110.00
- Price: £26.99Was: £49.99
- Price: £19.43
- Price: £46.29
- 6 large eggs
- 250 | 9oz butternut squash, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 150g | 5.3oz sweet potato, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 100g | 3.5oz chorizo
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp to mix in with the eggs
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- pinch chilli flakes
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- handful fresh sage leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Peel the casing off the chorizo and cut into small cubes.
- Slice the butternut squash into thin rounds and then cut into quarters.
- Spread the vegetables, garlic, chorizo and half the sage leaves on a baking tray. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the fennel seeds and chilli flakes. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Roast for about 25 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Keep the oven on but turn to fan plus grill.
- Lightly beat the eggs and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Layer a third of the vegetables over a 20cm (8in) oven-safe frying pan and then pour a third of the eggs over them. Shake the pan so the eggs cover the vegetables. Start cooking over medium heat.
- Repeat the process until you have used up all the egg and veggies and cook until the edges are set and middle is still fairly wobbly. Add a few sage leaves and sprinkle with the sweet paprika.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the middle is cooked and set.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn over onto a plate. Slice into wedges and serve.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA