It is Friday, it is practically the end of the month (well a week off but near enough), it’s time to let our hair down and have a much needed cocktail. For despite being on a diet and eating very healthily of late, I haven’t given up on cocktails entirely. For one thing January is bleak and depressing and for another… I love cocktails too much. I know some of you have sworn off alcohol altogether to take part in Dry January, but others are enjoying #GINuary (check out the Twitter feed). I fall somewhere in the middle – enjoying the occasional drink but certainly cutting back on the imbibing.
And since I am drinking a lot less, I am making those rare occasions count! 31Dover.com very kindly sent me a bottle of Elephant Sloe Gin and it is delicious for sipping on its own – just the right side of sweet, tart, fruity and with decent alcohol content. It also comes in a beautiful custom made bottle with a handwritten label. If that isn’t incentive enough to get sipping, the company donates 15% of all proceeds from every bottle of sloe gin to Big Life Foundation and Space For Elephants which are committed to save the African elephant from extinction.
- 1 measure (25ml) sloe gin
- 1 measure (25ml) gin
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tbsp egg white
- 1 tsp grenadine
- Put a martini glass in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Add all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with plenty of ice. Shake hard for 30 seconds and then strain into a large glass.
- Empty the shaker of ice and then shake the cocktail again to froth up the egg white.
- Pour into the chilled glass and garnish with some lemon zest or a twist if you like.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA