I don’t often post cookie recipes. Not sure why, other than whenever I make any they disappear before the oven has had a chance to cool down. This Martha Stewart recipe for potato chip cookies (no, really!) was something I had pinned years ago because the combination so just so intriguing I felt I ought to give them a try. And since Corkers Crisps decided to send me some of their fab crisps to sample, it was too good an opportunity to pass up.
Anyway the cookies turned out to be just what I was hoping – an addictive balance of sweet and salty, crispy and chewy. They are super easy to make too – the only difficulty being whether you are willing to sacrifice three bags of crisps to make them. They are totally worth it though, especially if salty/sweet stuff is your cup of tea. And what’s more, the generous folk at Corkers Crips are giving three lucky Supergolden Bakes readers the chance to win a box full of their intriguing flavours like Sweet Thai Chilli and Duck and Hoisin Sauce. Scroll down to the bottom of the post to enter.
Corkers Crisps are stocked at National Trust properties, the Tate, selected Waitrose stores and also Waitrose.com.
Potato Chip Cookies
115g | 4oz | 1 stick softened unsalted butter
75g | 2.6oz soft brown sugar
75g | 2.6oz granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
185g | 6.5oz plain flour (plus a little more if needed)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 small bag salted crisps (40g | 1.4oz) crushed into small crumbs
2 additional small bags of crisps crushed into small crumbs for rolling the cookies in
- Preheat the oven to 190C (375F) and line a large heavy tray with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugars together in a stand mixer on high speed until well combined, 3-4 minutes. You will need to scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl halfway through.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract and 1tbsp flour and beat together on medium speed until just combined.
- Add the remaining flour and bicarbonate of soda and beat together on low speed until just combined. Fold in the crushed crisps. If the cookie dough is still very soft, add 1-2 tbsp more flour and fold it in.
- Place the additional crushed crisps in a shallow plate. Flour your hands and roll the cookies into little balls then then roll then in the crisps to coat.
- Place on the prepared tray, spaced apart as they will spread while baking.
- Cook for 15-18minutes or until golden. Cool completely on a wire rack until crisp.
If you like the sound of these, check out Made With Pink’s fabulous ‘Take 5’ cookie here.
> Three winners will each receive a box of Corkers Crips (containing 8 packs of crisps).