The keyword for 2015, so far, has be stress. No, actually it has been S T R E S S. All caps. Underlined. Some of the stress is rooted in real issues I have been grappling with… some I have created myself out of thin air. But once it takes root in my psyche it is kind of self-perpetuating, hard to overcome and impossible to ignore. I now get stressed about things that would normally bring me a lot of joy, such as cooking for friends or blogging. I am trying to figure out ways of dealing with this – talking it out with friends has definitely been a huge help. Making lists and completing tasks is another coping mechanism – one that frequently backfires as I sometimes find myself unable to concentrate. This post, for example, started somewhere else entirely and now sounds like a bit of a confessional…
Makes about 250ml (1 cup)
- Put all the ingredients into a medium pot and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the fruit is very soft. Turn the heat off and cool in the pot.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a measuring jug. Leave the fruit to drain for a few hours and then use a funnel to transfer to a bottle or other suitable container.
- Keep in the fridge for up to four weeks.
- Put all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker. Add plenty of ice and shake hard for 30 seconds.
- Strain into two rocks glasses filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a rose petal.
Notes: To make this into a Rhubarb Gin Fizz pour into a tall glasses filled with ice and top with soda water.