Chocolate banana cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
- Put the chopped chocolate and coconut milk in a large bowl. Set the bowl over a pot of barely simmering water and allow the chocolate and coconut oil to melt slowly. Stir with a hand whisk until smooth and set aside.
- Blitz the bananas, sugar, milk, eggs and vanilla paste in a Vitamix or food processor until smooth. Stir the purée into the chocolate until smooth.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt over the bowl and then stir it in with a whisk, mixing gently until you have a glossy batter.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 55 minutes – 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean and cake is risen and firm on top. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the butterscotch chocolate sauce, put the cream, sugar, butter and vanilla into a small saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until the sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. Bring almost to the boil and remove from heat.
- Add the salt and chopped chocolate and leave to stand for a couple of minutes. Use a whisk to gently stir until the chocolate has melted completely and the sauce is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the sauce over the cooled cake and decorate with chocolate curls or chopped nuts.