400g | 14oz green lentils, soaked overnight with 1 tbsp lemon juice
300g | 10.5 oz lamb mince (leave out for vegetarian version)
3 large carrots, diced
3 celery sticks, diced
1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
400g | 14oz cavolo nero, diced (or kale, stalks removed)
100g | 3.5oz cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Put the lentils in a large bowl and cover with double the volume of cold water and 1 tbsp lemon juice. The next day rinse the lentils with plenty of water, drain and set aside.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a large pot. Add the chopped onion and spices and fry, stirring, over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chilli, carrot and celery and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the minced lamb and brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Stir in the tomato paste and brown sugar.
- Add the lentils and stock. Stir then bring to a simmer. Add the butternut squash and kale after 20 minutes then continue to cook for a further 25 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, lemon juice and stir in the herbs. Season to taste and serve.