I hereby declare a new tradition on Supergolden Bakes: cocktail Fridays. I will try to post a new cocktail recipe every Friday (barring any catastrophic event or, you know, life getting in the way). After all Fridays are the perfect day to indulge in a little libation.
The Dark and Stormy is a very easy and simple cocktail, requiring only one spirit (dark rum) – no cocktail shaker necessary. Different types of rum will yield slightly different results but the really important thing is to use ginger beer and not ginger ale. I have used Old Jamaican Ginger beer but the Fever Tree brand is also excellent.
I could stop myself from messing around a little with the recipe and added a little stem ginger in with the lime. Usually this is served in a tall glass but I had none so I used rocks glasses.
- 2 measures | 50ml | About 2 oz dark rum
- 115 ml | 4oz ginger beer or enough to top up the glass
- 2 limes quartered
- 1 piece stem ginger chopped small (I used Opie's Stem Ginger)
- 1 tsp stem ginger syrup
- Lime slices and stem ginger to decorate optional
- Put the limes and stem ginger and stem ginger syrup in a cocktail shaker or a bowl and muddle with a clean rolling pin. Try and extract as much juice as possible.
- Fill a tall glass with ice then strain the lime/ginger juice over it.
- Add the rum and top up with the ginger beer. Stir and decorate with a slice of lime and/or a small slice of stem ginger.
If you don't want to use the stem ginger then pour the juice of half a lime over the ice and proceed as above.