To get week of 9-16 #CookBlogShare party started I am going to share a deceptively simple but very tasty recipe for Strawberry Popovers. Essentially these are good ol' Yorkshire puddings of the sweet rather than savoury variety. They are quick and super easy to make and make a fantastic last minute dessert served with strawberries and cream or even vanilla ice cream.
Poppy seed popovers
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and balsamic vinegar and set them aside while you prepare the popovers.
- Preheat the oven to as hot as it will go. Rub a little vegetable shortening into the holes of a muffin or patty tin.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, stir in the sugar, poppy seeds, vanilla and zest.
- Add the eggs and mix them in. Gradually add the milk until you have a smooth batter. Let this rest for 15-20 mins.
- While the batter rests, put the prepared muffin tray in the oven for 15 mins.
- Take the muffin tray out (beware it will be very hot!) and carefully pour batter in each of the holes – it should sizzle.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the popovers are puffed and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Drain the strawberries and reserve their juice.
- Put a little whipped cream or yogurt in the popovers, add the strawberries and drizzle some of their juice.