A few weeks ago I received some natural nu3 Goji berries to try. Goji berries are a superfood that has been talked about for a few years now and shows no signs of going away. I like just munching on a few berries as a snack, or using them in a smoothie or even soaking them in boiling water to make tea.
I also made a large batch of granola using the berries and let me tell you, homemade granola is simply the best! It's remarkably easy to make, is good for you, tastes incredible and you can tailor it exactly to your specifications. Give this a go and you will wonder why you never made it before. Amazing with milk, or with Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit or just simply eaten as a snack (I really can't stop munching on it). Feel free to substitute any of the nuts, add dried fruit and so on. Just a warning about the goji berries - do not add these in the mix early on as they can burn easily.
Makes 1 large jar
250g | 8.8oz rolled oats
100g | 3.5oz goji berries
50g | 1.7oz pumpkin seeds
50g | 1.7oz sesame seeds
50g | 1.7oz flaked almonds
50g | 1.7oz hazelnuts, roughly chopped
50g | 1.7oz desiccated unsweetened (shredded) coconut
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted (or sunflower oil)
175g | about 6oz clear honey (or maple syrup, or mix of the two)
- Preheat the oven to 180C | 350F.
- Put the goji berries in a bowl and pour enough hot water over them to barely cover. Leave for 5 minutes to plump up. Drain and pat dry with kitchen towel. Set aside.
- Put the oats, all the seeds and coconut in a large bowl. Mix together.
- Add the coconut oil and honey (you may need to warm the honey to make it runny) and mix together using a wooden spoon. Make sure the mix is evenly coated.
- Spread the mix in a large tray lined with baking paper and cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Keep stirring the mixture every few minutes to make sure it toasts and browns evenly.
- Take the tray out of the oven and add the goji berries. Mix then in and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- After the granola has been in the oven for total of 20 minutes check it - it may need another 5 minutes. When it's ready, take it out of the oven and cool completely.
- Put in a large storage jar. This will keep for about a month - I finished my batch in under a week.